First of all, having a good pair of Sun glasses is vital on the water. Sun may damage your eyes, and glare off the water can make it difficult to differentiate features, whether it is wind or something that lies below the surface.It is not easy to know which pair of sun glasses are good for you, so we have come up with a summary of details you must think of before buying boating sunglasses.
- UV protection against UVA & UVB rays
- Polarized lens decreases glare off water, the very best boating sunglasses are polarized
- Lens Material are manufactured from glass or plastic materials
- Lens tints filter out enough of the right kind of light to reduce brightness
- Lens coatings, Mirrored coatings reflect glare but are vulnerable to scratching
- Frame designs and materials ensure sunglasses in place
- Fit & Feel, boating sunglasses must hold in position, but not pinch or rub
The FDA, the federal government agency that manages sunglass manufacture and sales in the United States., suggests you consider boating sunglasses with contact lenses that block 99-100% of UVA and UVB radiation. The tag should read either UV 400 or 100% UV safety. Polarized lenses are crucial on the water to block glare from disturbing your vision. Light striking toned surfaces, including water, or snow, is mirrored perpendicular to that surface. Polarized lenses block all of this vertical light. Polarized lenses allow you to read the water surface plus observe what lies underneath the surface.
- Acrylic lenses would be the cheapest. They actually don’t have the optics of glass lenses, however they may do for a lot of applications. Example; Gill
- Polycarbonate lenses would be the lightest, and are generally almost shatterproof. Polycarbonate lenses differ in price from cheap towards the most costly, because of the coatings which boost optics. Example Baby banz, Switch Vision
- CR-39 A plastic material used typically in prescription-grade lenses. CR-39 is regarded as the common plastic lens, because of low weight, high scratch resistance, and occasional transparency for ultraviolet and infrared radiation. Example, Costa del Mar
- SR-91 Kaenons amazing lens combines the highest optical excellence of the finest glass and also the lightest weight, strength and impact level of resistance of polycarbonate. Examples; Kaenon
- Optical Glass provides the best optics and scratch resistance. Optical Glass Lenses are usually ground and refined to the exact width of the lens to ensure a distortion-free lens. Glass lenses are costly and can shatter. Examples; Maui Jims, Costa del Mar
- Photochromic lenses offer distinctive climatic managing technology, getting dark from low to high light transmission within couple of seconds; Polarized Photochromic improve distinction and depth belief while supplying unparalleled eye protection. Examples; Rudy Project
Visible light transmission & Tints
The quantity of light passing via a lens is known as visible light transmission. For doing water activities, visible light transmission really should fall in the 15-30 percentage range.Tints filter out an adequate amount of the right kind of light to lessen lighting with out eliminating what you must see. Refractive coatings reflect the color wave length.
Morning hours, dusk or overcast circumstances. With less ambient light outdoors you’ll need more light coming through the lens to your eyes along with a method to boost the details. Think about Photochromic, light adjusting lenses which will adjust since the day lightens or darkens. Exchangeable lenses enables a wider selection of light conditions.
Mid-day, cloudless and full sunlight days. Bright sunlight situations mean a great deal of glare and also you need a strategy to block light and wipe out glare without getting rid of the details. Mirrored coatings will help reduce the glare. Interchangeable lenses will help you to quickly adjust to changing light conditions.
Tint and color
- Solid Tinted Lenses; are equally tinted over the entire lens to reduce glare.
- Gradient Colored Lenses; are darker at the very top and lighter in weight in the bottom to reduce overheard glare.
- Double Gradient Contact lenses; are more dark at the top and bottom and lighter in the center to reduce over head and reflected glare from the ground.
- Brown/Amber/Copper Lenses; These colors filtering blue light, which makes them a natural choice for outdoor sports enthusiasts; golfing, water and snow sports. Due to their contrast sharpening and anti-glare properties, brown-tinted lenses will usually increase visibility while driving.
- Gray/Green-Gray Lens; permit the wearer to determine outdoors colors because they naturally appear. These types of neutral tones really are a popular choice and boost contrast, visibility, and depth perception.
- Yellow/Rose Lenses; neutralize blue light. This increases contrast, making objects look sharper on hazy or cloudy days. Red tints enhance color contrast and may improve visibility while driving. Some people prefer rose tints for comfortable prolonged wear. Sea Specs have a permanent built in strap. These glasses are perfect for active water sports where you need to make sure your boating sunglasses stay put.